With more and more universities and colleges to choose from, going to an open day will give you a fantastic opportunity to find out about all aspects of university life. As it will be your home for the next three or four years, it’s important to make a well-informed decision about where and what to study.
While open days are generally a fun day out, it helps to make sure you know what to look out for. So today we’re sharing our tips on getting the most out of your visit!
Before the big day
- Find out where the university is and how to get there. It may seem obvious, but travelling to the university is something you shouldn’t have to worry about on the day. Check train times, parking options and how long it will take to get there.
- Plan ahead. Get a feel for the layout of the campus, check out courses you’re interested in online, get a rough plan for the day and book anything you need to in advance, and write down all the questions you want to ask on the day.
During the event
- Make sure you’re wearing comfy shoes as you will be on your feet most of the day. Although there are cafes and restaurants on campus, bring some snacks and refreshments, just in case your energy levels drop and you’re starting to feel peckish.
- Get there early. Events like this can get quite busy so by getting there early you can park and register before the crowds.
- Speak to people and take notes. This is vital, as there will be students and lecturers from the course(s) you’re interested in. Ask all the questions you may have about the course content and the student life. From the course structure and study abroad options, to where to get the best fish and chips – there are no silly questions. There will be a lot of information coming your way, so taking some notes and pictures will help you remember the important bits.
- Get involved in accommodation and campus tours. This could be your new home for the foreseeable future, so it’s important to get an idea of where you’re going and what accommodation options there are.
- Go through all the information you gathered during the Open Day and make a list of things you like and things you’re not sure of. If while reviewing your notes you suddenly think of an important question you forgot to ask or you need more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch!
Do you want to learn more about the University of Stirling? We’d love to show you around. Register for our next Open Day on 8 June 2019. Even if you can’t attend Open Day, we’ve got loads of other visiting opportunities you can sign up for. Make sure you share your Open Day snaps using #StirOpenDay!